BY JEFF SIDDIQUI
Member, American Muslims of Puget Sound
This article was originally published on Siddiqui's blog here.
Yes, Donald Trump, the President of the United States and Commander-in-Chief of its overwhelming military decided to give a speech on Afghanistan. I would give it zero points for a well thought-out plan and full points for high rhetoric, bluster, fake bravado and other brave-appearing but meaningless, sounds.
Let’s take a closer look…
- “Love for America requires love for all of its people. When we open our hearts to patriotism, there is no room for prejudice, no place for bigotry, and no tolerance for hate.”
Unless of course, we talk about MUSLIMS who do not deserve any protections against prejudice, bigotry or, hate. Note that most naïve Muslims are still sitting out there waiting and hoping that Trump will condemn the bombing of the Mosque in Bloomington, Minnesota; they have a long wait in front of them.
- 9/11, the worst terrorist attack in our history, was planned and directed from Afghanistan because that country was ruled by a government that gave comfort and shelter to terrorists”
Most Americans remain unaware and don’t care to learn, that we the US, attacked Afghanistan and destroyed the final remnants of its order…misguided as the order was…for reasons of getting a gas pipeline through the country to the Arabian Sea. We invaded after the Taliban government decided to give the pipeline contract to an Argentine company instead of to UNOCAL, the American company. The bit about Ben Laden was a ruse that Americans embraced because of our thirst for vengeance over the 9-11 tragedy. Well over two MILLION lives and millions more maimed from Pakistan to Libya, we are still thirsting for more blood for the 3000 dead who, ironically, included about 10% Muslims and a number of undocumented people.
- “And, as we know, in 2011, America hastily and mistakenly withdrew from Iraq. As a result, our hard-won gains slipped back into the hands of terrorist enemies. Our soldiers watched as cities they had fought for, and bled to liberate, and won, were occupied by a terrorist group called ISIS.”
We invaded Iraq based on a desire to establish our power, nothing else. It was our plan to destroy Iraq and ALL of its infrastructure….roads, power, organization, government…everything and we succeeded completely. Our soldiers watched as Iraqis began their destructive looting of anything else that we had not destroyed. We then destroyed the connections between Shia and Sunni by first pitting the Sunnis against the Shia and then the Shia against the Sunni. It is now almost unimaginable to see and Iraq that can survive as an intact country with Shia and Sunni Arabs living as brothers and sisters, let alone the Kurds who are now openly calling for their own nation.
- “Today, 20 U.S.-designated foreign terrorist organizations are active in Afghanistan and Pakistan — the highest concentration in any region anywhere in the world.”
The key words are “US-designated”. Of course, the US only designates groups they do not like, as “terrorists” while the real “terrorists” who serve the purposes of the United States, are “defenders of freedom”. No American violent organization like the KKK, militias and other ‘Patriot Nation”-type organizations who are armed to teeth, are considered as “terrorists”. The very term “Terrorist” has become a bankrupt, meaningless, political designation.
- “For its part, Pakistan often gives safe haven to agents of chaos, violence, and terror.”
- Perhaps the only truthful statement of the entire speech. Not only has Pakistan turned a blind and protective eye to the violent fanatics who are busy committing massive slaughter of Pakistanis, Pakistan is also the haven for American Drones and Death-Squads (a.k.a. “Special Forces” and “Seal Teams”).
Pakistan has long been the prostitute for the US because the US sends arms and money for Pakistan’s military and for its corrupt military and civilian leaders who do not care enough about Pakistan to put a stop to the mindless, ignorant and fanatical religious leaders who drive all the violence in the country.
Of course, the US serves as the prostitute for rich countries as well. The US knows full well, that the sole center for the creation, distribution and promotion of religious-based violence is Arabia (“Saudi” Arabia). But with hundreds of billions of dollars pouring in from that country into the US and its companies, it is more expedient to lay the blame for violence and fanaticism on countries who cannot affect any US interests.
- “Terrorists who slaughter innocent people will find no glory in this life or the next.”
Of course, this does NOT include our own forces of terrorism nor the forces of our friends and allies such as Israel, Britain, Arabia, Egypt, Philippines and others who also commit innumerable acts of terrorism in order to maintain their gains on the lands they hold. No, it only includes anyone who we dislike or who our allies dislike even if they are fighting for their lives and their freedom. We don’t dare even start a count of how many “innocent lives” we have had a hand in slaughtering.
- “Ultimately, it is up to the people of Afghanistan to take ownership of their future, to govern their society, and to achieve an everlasting peace. We are a partner and a friend, but we will not dictate to the Afghan people how to live, or how to govern their own complex society. We are not nation-building again. We are killing terrorists.”
- “The Pakistani people have suffered greatly from terrorism and extremism.”Having destroyed everything in Afghanistan…over and over again since the 1970s…we now wag our finger at the people, holding them responsible for their own future. Having destroyed the nation and blown everything into smithereens, we now insist “we are not nation-building”…”again”?? when did we build that unfortunate nation before?
No kidding. The American people have forgotten, with encouragement from our political leaders (Trump included) that Pakistan was a beautiful, peaceful country where different Muslims and different religions co-existed reasonably well before America introduced the intolerant strain of violent Muslim thinking via the House of Saud, in order to fight the Soviet Union. The responsibility for creating arming training and spreading their violence lies ONLY at the doorstep of the United States.
- “But Pakistan has also sheltered the same organizations that try every single day to kill our people.”Er…doc. That is “Saudi” Arabia, they were the people who committed the horrors of 9-11. The rest of the so-called “Muslim terrorists” in America are people who were lured into positions by the FBI where the FBI could then arrest them with great fanfare and show how America is still safe. Here, we are not taking into account, the people who strut about with masks, military gear and automatic weapons, to try to terrorize Muslims into leaving and to intimidate the rest of the “liberal” Americans.
- “We appreciate India’s important contributions to stability in Afghanistan, but India makes billions of dollars in trade with the United States, and we want them to help us more with Afghanistan,…”
The whole reason Pakistan is involved in Afghanistan is because India is there and Pakistan has no wish to have Afghanistan become a military ally of India and get caught in the jaws of the two allies. The whole reason why Pakistan is at odds with India is because India controls a large part of Kashmir and will not agree to allow the people to either go to Pakistan or to become a sovereign nation. Kashmir controls the last two great rivers that flow into Pakistan, the other three great rivers have already been largely or entirely diverted into India, leaving Pakistan in near-drought conditions until flood season when water is the last thing anyone wants. India signed the Indus Waters Treaty
with Pakistan in 1960 under which it guaranteed a year-round minimum amount of water (cusecs = cubic feet per second) into Pakistan. Since then, all India has done is to decrease the flow of water into Pakistan that came from the three rivers flowing from India (Ravi, Sutlej and Beas) and under Indian control. Give India the last and largest river flowing from Kashmir and watch Pakistan turn into a desert.
For the US to now invite India to get deeper into Afghanistan is a life-or-death situation for Pakistan and a sure bet that Pakistan will also be deeply involved to counter India.
- “That’s why we will also expand authority for American armed forces to target the terrorist and criminal networks that sow violence and chaos throughout Afghanistan.”
Unfortunately, the American armed forces have already killed hundreds of thousands (million?) of innocent Afghans. By making it easier to kill even more is certainly not going to endear the US to the citizens of Afghanistan, this “War!” is doomed to continue into failure.
- ”Our troops will fight to win. We will fight to win. From now on, victory will have a clear definition: attacking our enemies, obliterating ISIS, crushing al-Qaeda, preventing the Taliban from taking over Afghanistan, and stopping mass terror attacks against America before they emerge.”
Nice rhetoric and bound to get lots of praise from our hot-headed, patriotic, REAL Americans but in reality, it is meaningless drivel. The only ones to benefit from all this, are the industries that “serve” the war-effort and the politicians who support them as Afghan blood flows endlessly.
- “America will work with the Afghan government as long as we see determination and progress. However, our commitment is not unlimited, and our support is not a blank check. The government of Afghanistan must carry their share of the military, political, and economic burden. “
The loophole!! Now we can lay the blame for failure at the feet of the corrupt Afghan government and walk away any time we wish and actually look good to the gullible Americans!
- Our actions, and in the months to come, all of them will honor the sacrifice of every fallen hero, every family who lost a loved one, and every wounded warrior who shed their blood in defense of our great nation…”
That is all we really care about, American deaths. We cry every day for the 2,270 Americans killed in Afghanistan, we scream for vengeance for the blood of these sincere people who gave their lives thinking they were actually defending the US, we conceal all their wasted lives behind calls for defense of America. But we never mention even one of the almost million Afghans killed and many times more who were left maimed by our actions and under our watch. Afghans are not even given the dignity of recognition and accounting for the lost lives, both the Americans and the Afghan “government” (under US control) decided they did not need to keep numbers of Afghan casualties.
Thus we pass into another phase of the exercise of mindless American might. Drunk with power, we will kill endless more innocent people and glory in the fact by saying we are keeping America safe
Nobody will ask, “Who is keeping our victims safe?”
Jafar “Jeff” Siddiqui is an American Muslim living in Washington State and is the first Muslim-American to cast an electoral vote. He is a member of American Muslims of Puget Sound and is a human rights activist. He is involved with movements for inter-faith understanding. He has contributed articles for a textbook on terrorism, used by US law-enforcement agencies. He grew up in the Khyber Pukhtunkhwa (North-West Frontier) Province.